Saturday, January 8, 2011

Christmas gifts made with the Cricut

I wanted to make something special for my two young nephews and baby niece, as well as my cousin's baby, for Christmas.  After much thought I decided to make them framed name signs for their bedrooms.  I went to my local Marc's store and found these "pug" frames which I thought were the perfect size.


Since my niece's name is Violet I wanted her sign be purple and green with Violets on it.  I searched but could not find Violet stamps or stickers anywhere. So I ended up finding a picture online and using my Sure Cuts a Lot (SCAL) software to draw the flowers onto my paper through the Cricut.  I purchased gel pens made specifically for the Cricut called Cri-Kits gel pens. (http://www.cri-kits.com/cricut/cricut_pen_kits.html)  You simply remove the blade housing in the Cricut and insert the Cri-kits adapter and desired gel pen.  It is easy and gives an awesome effect! After the flowers and petals were drawn I replaced the cutting tool and had the Cricut cut out the images.
Then I colored the images with Copic markers. The colors I used for the violets were BV00, BV04, BV08, V15, V17, Y02, Y06 and YR04.  For the leaves I used YG11, YG63, and YG67.
I am a newbie when it comes to coloring with Copics.  I have watched tons of Youtube videos to learn different techniques, but I am far from experienced. I was not sure the best way to color the leaves so I experimented. 
And this is the finished project for Violet! I used some sparkly purple cardstock, as well as beautiful deep purple and fern green paper.  I used a Cri-kits glitter silver gel pen to draw the details on the letters. 

Here are the projects I did for my nephews. Again I used the Cricut to cut out their names.  Caleb's was made using various papers the DCWV Generation Tech Stack from Joann Fabrics.  
For Cayden's I created the nuts and bolts in Sure Cuts a Lot (SCAL) using the basic shapes.  The robot on the top was a stamp that I colored with copics.  The robot on the bottom I created in SCAL and I gave him googly eyes.  

Here is the final project I made.  This one was for my cousin's new baby, Madeline Marie.  Whenever I hear the name Madeline I automatically think of the children's books and cartoon Madeline, about a young French girl.  I loved watching Madeline when I was a kid!  So when I was planning Maddie's gift I could not help but give it a French theme.  




0 comments:

Post a Comment